Pages

3.14.2012

Sexist Jokes

Back when I was a freshman in college, I had two good friends (males) that found it funny to say, "Make me a sandwich, wench!" I knew that they were my friends, and didn't think I was a wench. And I knew they didn't expect me to make them a sandwich, so I never really said anything back. I just assumed they were goofing off, and, well, whatever. Then one day, my roommate was with me when they called me "wench," and she forcefully responded, "Don't you dare call her that!" It wasn't until that moment that I truly realized that despite the fact that they weren't serious, it was definitely rude and disrespectful behavior, and it hurt my feelings. I was certainly glad that my roommate wouldn't stand for it. And I wish that I hadn't allowed it either.

Fast forward. Just recently, a friend of mine shared a photo with me that his friend had posted on facebook. He then asked me whether I was offended by it, or if I found it humorous somehow. What do you think?


Let's just say, I found it offensive. I'm sure that the manufacturers simply felt this was funny, and so did the person who posted it. But I have to wonder not only why people feel comfortable making jokes at women's expense, but why any respectable company would be bold enough to publicly do so. I remarked that there would never be a racist joke about who picked the cotton for the clothing, because of course, no one would find that funny. It would be blatantly offensive! So why does society so readily allow sexist jokes to go unchallenged?

This laundry tag reminded me of a speech that Hillary Clinton gave in which she was heckled by a man who shouted, "Iron my shirt!"


I'm so glad that she didn't just ignore the comment. It's not okay to marginalize women, or to play the part of the chauvinist for laughs. Not only should we resist participating in these jokes and comments, we should stand up against them. I'm discovering that developing more courage through the beginnings of my feminist journey isn't easy. Even in my adulthood, with all I've learned, it's still hard to stand up to the bullies I encounter. A couple months ago, I stood up for a friend of mine at a get-together, and found myself crying after being made fun of and questioned as to why I was upset. I wish I were stronger. I wish that I could stand up for others with more power and authority, and without tears. For now, it only matters to me that I have the courage to do it at all, in whatever capacity I have. It's a step in the direction I know I need to go.  

7 comments:

  1. Actually, my coworker showed me this picture, and I thought of you.

    I'm also reminded of this video I saw recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that video! It illustrates the point I was trying to get at so well, that acting sexist (ironically, as she says) is still being sexist. I'll have to use the term retro sexism in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather! Thank-You so much for posting this! I saw shirt tag image floating around on Facebook and if I see it another time I'm going to take the Hillary approach and say "No, I won't iron your shirt but I'd be happy to teach any man how to iron his own shirt." Seriously loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Heidi! I'm glad you liked the Hillary video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I was wrong, some people think that marketing racism is funny too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, it doesn't do any of us favors to compare oppression. Many forms of oppression are very much alive and well. Anywho, I appreciated your post. Recently a guy I've been dating was complaining about how men's insurance rates are so much higher because he believes that women drivers are worse, based on his personal experience. It was ludicrous to me because insurance rates are based on ACTUAL DATA, not stereotypes and anecdotal evidence, buddy. Of course, he used one stupid mistake I made driving with him as an example to illustrate his point (so annoying! I didn't make the damn mistake because I'm a woman!). If you want to call me a crappy driver, that's all good. But to blame it on my gender really pisses me off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize for comparing sexism with racism. I certainly didn't need to do that to make my point, and I didn't do so appropriately either. Both ARE regrettably alive and well.

      I too hate the women driver stereotype. It doesn't make sense to question valid statistics based off of biased life experience. Similar discussions have annoyed me too.

      Delete