Pages

1.19.2012

What does it take to be a woman?

Last week I began reading A Lesson Before Dying. It is written from the perspective of a well-educated black man in 1948. The first chapter begins with the trial of another black man in his community, who is not as well-educated. In fact, the defense attorney uses the notion that the defendant is a fool to attempt to get a non-guilty verdict. Actually, he says he is more than a fool, he cannot even be considered a man. Still further, he argues that you may as well send a hog to the electric chair...

I was pretty stunned reading this portion of the book. I understood that comments such as these were probably voiced often at the time, but in court? As a defense? I find the whole idea pretty disturbing.

As part of our discussion in class, we were asked to respond to the question, "What does it take to be a man?"  One classmate made a detailed list (essentially, qualities that she admired in her father). Others provided a more encompassing and philosophical definition. I found myself tempted to define a man in completely biological terms, mostly just to irritate people, but I restrained myself, and jotted down a few other basic ideas.

I appreciated the discussion. I believe it is important to look at how we view our humanity (and gender). Is it something that we inherently have, or something that we may aspire to develop? What are your thoughts?

What does it take to be a man? A woman? Is there a difference?

On a side note, I think that one of the best scenes in Mulan is during the song, "I'll Make a Man Out of You." Of course, gotta couple it with this spectacular scene as well to appreciate it fully.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment