Pages

1.17.2012

I am a Feminist

I love being able to embrace the Feminist label. I struggle to understand the animosity and hesitation that many people seem to feel in hearing and saying the word, 'feminist.' To me, feminism is simply all about equal opportunity and respect for men and women. As I see perceptions, attitudes, and practices that do not encompass equal treatment and opportunities for the sexes, it makes me wonder, and wish to see a change. In turn, I also feel strongly for equality of all people, and am compelled towards the fight for social justice for all. I'm sure I could spend several lifetimes working to understand people who are different from me and to develop the kind of empathetic and courageous character I desire. In reality, there is not a lot of time in this life, and there are many things to do. Perhaps the fact only makes this battle all the more urgent. I believe it is. Personally, I suddenly feel a deep desire and duty (a calling, if you will) to start my own journey for world change in embracing my new Feminist self.

This blog is intended as a way to share my journey. Part of this experience actually involves taking part in a Feminist Theories course at USU, where the class has been asked to record our reflections from our readings through an online blog. I also will use this blog to reflect on other thoughts and insights from additional course readings (and life!) that relate to feminism. You may also notice that instead of leaving 'Comments' on my blog, I am suggesting that you leave 'Feminist Thoughts.' That is because I hope for my readers to feel comfortable and confident with the Feminist label. I also will ask a question at the end of each post. I want to use my posts to share ideas, create a discussion, and to provide a voice for my readers.

Lastly, I'll let you in on some more informative labels that I embrace and identify with. I am a Wife, Woman, Teacher, Student, Friend, Sister, Daughter, Mormon, Democrat, Evolutionist, Environmentalist, Free Thinker, Reader, Writer, Philosopher, Animal Lover, and an Artist.

What labels do you embrace, and what are your reactions to the word, "Feminist?"   

6 comments:

  1. Can a man comment? I'm almost afraid to say anything on a feminist blog. But since you're my friend, I know you won't be mad. :)

    Let me say, before I dig myself deeper, that I know that these are very broad generalizations and stereotypes and are not fair to apply to all feminists. Case in point: you! So congrats up front for breaking the stereotype for me.

    I guess my first paragraph here kind of captures my reaction to the word feminist. Feminists strike me as perpetually angry women who take everything as either a personal or gender-oriented attack. Nothing is ever good enough; everything is interpreted as an attack. The offer of kindness or courtesy is considered an implication of weakness. For whatever reason, they just seem to have a perpetual chip on their shoulders.

    Well, that's it. Like I said, I know these are very broad generalizations, but you asked for my reaction, and that's my gut reaction.

    Now that I have made myself out as an anti-feminist, I would just like to say that I am a huge supporter of women's rights. I have a great appreciation for the virtue and power of womankind. I thank God every day for my wife, who is an incredibly capable and all around powerful woman. She is by far my superior in hundreds of ways. So no misogyny from me!

    As for my labels:
    Nerd, Math Geek, Student, Doting Husband, Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting, Patrick! I hope more guys feel comfortable expressing their opinions here.I can't completely assure you that I will not be angry and hyper-sensitive at times. Those are real emotions, and deserve some reflection and attention. Certainly, though, I believe that being positive, informative, uplifting, and assertive (vs. aggresive) is a much more healthy, productive, and inspiring approach. There is no value in under-taking a life view that creates more bitterness than true strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your introduction, especially the end where you work on your positionality a bit. I wonder how you felt about the first couple of chapters of Tong's book? My personal feelings of what feminism means to be seem to be in line with yours and I felt somewhat shocked and annoyed with the radicals. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin, I'm putting off too much of my reading this week. We have family in town from Sweden! I read at least the intro., and do find myself pretty shocked at some of the concepts that many radical feminists hold, particularly when it comes to sexuality and pregnancy. I can actually understand where the concepts come from, but idealizing them seems too much like a dystopian novel :) I'm not annoyed by it, however, as I haven't had much exposure to these views.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feather,

    I love that you are asking your readers for their "Feminist Thoughts" instead of comments to encourage and embrace the feminist label. And I agree that "there is no value in under-taking a life view that creates more bitterness than true strength."

    As for my labels: Artist, Ethereal Feminist, Hugging Machine, Swimmer, Dedicated Student, Best-O-Friends with Feathie, Aunt, Daughter, Crazy Person :D

    Heids

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Heidi! I love the "Best-O-Friends with Feathie" label!

    ReplyDelete