Pages

2.03.2012

Bald and Free: My story of being Miss Representation

I have something important I want to share. It is something about myself that only my family and a few of my close friends know. Even now, I feel a little bit of hesitation in deciding to post it openly. It is a fact that has caused me a lot of internal shame, and has affected my self image in ways that has made me feel abnormal, antisocial, and at times, really ugly. I have Trichotillomania. I even hate to write that word sometimes, because having a condition with the suffix "mania" can make me feel a little crazy.

I share this because I honestly feel that in life you have to give something to get something. In order to internalize the struggles of others and understand them, I need to share my own. I can only expect the trust and intimacy that comes with truly learning who others are by trusting them as well. I need to open that possibility through my willingness to be vulnerable. I believe that there is more power that comes through suffering than I know, and I want to learn how to harness it. There is no value, for me, in perpetually looking beyond the negative, and looking at the lighter side of life. I'm sure that this view is more important than I realize as well, but not at the expense of rejecting and ignoring the purpose of pain. That purpose should be explored. I'm sure there's some Buddist wisdom that would explain this idea better, but I have yet to learn it.

The hardest part of my Trich is that it has driven me to hiding. At first, it was my mother's shame that motivated me to hide my head. She bought a wig for me to wear in middle school. In high school I refused to wear it, and at her bidding, I shaved my head. It wasn't until college that I really started letting my hair grow out, but perhaps that was just a result of the fact that I never wanted to go to a hair salon. I never wanted to go swimming either, or be outside while it was windy or raining. I didn't even want to physically get too close to anyone that didn't already know what was "wrong." I couldn't put my head on someone's shoulder, or let someone brush or stroke my hair. Obviously, this sort of mental restriction held me back from getting close to guys and dating. I've been described as stand-offish before. There was even a time when I was afraid to be a part of baptisms for the dead at the temple, for fear that it would expose my secret, and lead to questions and negative views about me. I'm pretty ashamed for letting it get to me in that way.

I was pretty good at hiding my bald spots most of the time. A comb-over isn't just for balding guys, it is a vital practice for most Trichsters. I have a shoe box full of barrettes, bandannas, and head bands. I've even used hair powders and scalp creams to hide my spots. Last spring, my pulling was getting so bad that the hair powder no longer could conceal the damage, and I began wearing bandannas everyday, even if I was alone in my apartment, and many times even to bed.

There were many times when I wanted to get away from that shame, and that harmful desire to hide. I kept commenting to my husband, "I should just shave my head." And he'd answer, "If you want, I'll do it for you." It was always kind of a half joke. One day, this past November, I said, "Okay John, I want you to shave my head tonight." It was actually a bizzare bonding experience, and I felt good about it most of the time my hair was falling down around me. I do remember shedding a tear or two, though. This time, shaving my head was not about hiding like it was when I was younger. It was about openly being willing to show my ugliness, and my realness to everyone, and it was about the desire for a new beginning.

I knew that shaving my head would nessisitate telling others about my condition. A girl can't just shave her head without questions, and this time I wasn't going to lie. That's largely what made it so difficult. But, I felt it was the right thing to do. I sent an email telling all of my in-laws about it, and got some very supportive responses. However, it just so happened that the next time I would see them all, it was Thanksgiving. So, practically all of them were there to see my "new look." I had a reaction I would never have anticipated. Shortly after I saw them all for the first time with my shaved head, I broke down crying, and crying, and crying. I couldn't stop. I actually had such a hard time dealing with my emotions, that I decided I would feel better going home. My husband, amazing in his support, came with me, despite not being able to see his family for very long for the holiday.

I'm not sure how to reflect back on Thanksgiving night, and my emotions. I think there is just a certain extreme shock that can result if you suddenly allow yourself to be completely vulnerable to people whose love, opinions, and judgements you value, and you fear somehow changing. Despite this extreme reaction, I've found that sharing this experience has been helpful and positive for my development, and my relationships with others.

After shaving my head, yes, even right down to the skin, the damage to my hair could still be seen. It is taking its sweet time growing back, and I am hopeful that all of it will. I still often wear hats now while it is growing back and looks funky, but I don't feel like I need to. And I often don't "need to" at all.

Last night I watched the awesome film, Miss Representation. I highly, highly recommend it. Here is a detailed description of it in case you are interested. It is about how the media has marginalized the value and potential of women, and created an obsession with youth, beauty and sexiness. Women are underrepresented and misrepresented all around us, and the effects are devastating. I know that without the constant and specific influence that beauty has had on our society, my Trichotillomania would not have been such a negative and difficult force in my life. It's interesting to consider that if baldness were considered beautiful, I would never have felt ashamed of my condition, or felt ashamed to live life with the confidence I deserved. I'd like to think that I am above internalizing the shallow pettiness of society and the media, and sometimes I certainly can be, but rising above it isn't the best answer. It needs to be stopped. I believe that the silence of good people that know the truth will perpetuate the lies we see and hear more than the liars will. I don't want to be silent anymore.

My friend Heidi was told by some of her photography professors that most of her models look too perfect. I've noticed that she likes her photos as polished as possible, and goes to great lengths to hire an awesome make-up artist, and edit her images to look just the way she likes them. I've gotten photos with her before where I've enjoyed going to her make-up artist, and having Heidi curl my hair. My pictures turned out great. More recently, after shaving my head, I offered to be the kind of model that did not represent perfection. We had a weird, but fun photo shoot. Here are my radically different pictures:





       



 









I don't want to critically evaluate and compare the kind of beauty I see in each photo. Beauty is not the point. It is the opposite of the point. I do, however, want to be able to post both photos side by side and proudly say, "This is me!" Well, this is me!


17 comments:

  1. Loved this! Seriously. I'm all for women doing whatever they want to do. Break down those social norms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are such an amazing, beautiful, inspiring woman.What doesn't kill us will only make us stronger! We all have to go through things to better understand life and the people in it. We have to choose to see the good in everything and I think you are doing just that. :) Last year I announced on F.B. that I was sexually abused when I was younger. I was scared and embarrassed but I did it anyways because I wanted people to wake up and start paying attention to what's happening all around them and maybe even to their own.:( Its something that we need to face and start talking about. It was the most wonderful feeling letting that all go. So thanks for your honesty and showing it to the world Heather. You may help more people then you'll ever know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never understood how the world came to recognize "beauty". I think it's bizarre how the "laws of attraction" have changed over time. If today's standard of sexual desirability in women had always been the standard, then our race would have died out long before boob jobs were invented! Clearly, the perception of beauty is not written into the human genome.

    I guess my point is simply this: you should feel free to define beauty for yourself. There's nothing universal about it. So don't let it bother you. Talk about your quintessential "Easy to say, hard to do" activity!

    I'm glad you feel like you can share this with us. We all have terrible crap we have to deal with and I suspect we would all be shocked at the things we could learn about the people we know "so well". So you're not alone. I can't speak for anyone else, but know that I think no less of you for learning this about you. I still think you're pretty awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Jen, I admire you for sharing such a difficult thing so openly! You are right, there are certain truths we need to face, and I'm sure your influence goes further than you think as well. I hope that you will continue to comment on my blog, I feel like there is a lot I could learn from you.

    Patrick, I'm glad that you think I'm awesome. I do too! You're right, the laws of attraction can be pretty bizarre. Currently, I'm not looking to define my own kind of true beauty, as admirable and needed as I think that is in our society. I'm trying to reject the idea that women (I) need to feel any sort of beauty to be a noteworthy woman. Redefining beauty, to me, still plays into the idea that it is such a paramount value that you need to possess in some form. I consider myself bigger than whatever beautiful is, and therefore I don't need to fit into whatever definition it could contain. Like you said, though, "easy to say, hard to do." I'll give it a go, and hope I can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love what you said here, addressing Patrick's comment!

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad! I've had quite a few well-meaning people offer me comfort in calling me beautiful lately, and it doesn't help. How can it when its definition is always subject to change? I would much rather be told that I don't need to feel beautiful.

      Delete
  5. Heather! Thanks for the trich-talk! I actually remember the first time I curled your hair and it was a bonding experience for us, too! I look up to you and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Heidi! I'll let you help me dye my hair a crazy color sometime after it grows back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY! Me too...a bizzare fun color! I'm getting tired of normal! (whatever that is) haha...I think you are one of the most amazing women that I know.
    You deserve the happiness and depth of understanding all of yourself, the healthy, the painful, the reality of all of it.
    I love the Taoist belief of becoming who we are. Becoming one with "the way" the life forces that are in and all around us, and as your friend Patrick put so clearly, we are NOT genetically programmed to find this or that beautiful--most of what we term "beauty" is nothing more than the social norms of the day. Established by peer pressure and a few people who find it in themselves to seek to establish an unobtainable beauty--for if it were easy, where's the money in marketing and sales?
    In working to be my best healthiest self I'm learning that embracing who I am (all of who I am) is essential to that process and ironically the more I become comfortable with where I am, the more I realize I don't need to change to be my best self, I just need to be. It "the way"

    ReplyDelete
  8. ps. I would title your second picture "becoming"
    double entendre.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Celest! For a long time I've loved Nietzsche's saying, "become who you are!" I think it's awesome that you love this idea too. To me, it implies a combination of choice and destiny in the neverending process of discovering myself. I will have to research Taoism.

    Let's both dye our hair on Easter! Perfect, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was very brave of you to share this! I can imagine trich is a really rough thing to deal with, particularly as a woman since our hair is often so tied with our "beauty" and our identities/worth in this culture is so often defined exclusively on the basis of our "beauty."

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad I found this, because it is such an important reminder to all of us who are knowledgable about the social forces surrounding us that Knowing and Doing are two different things! Your bravery in Doing is so inspiring and wonderful, because it is the hardest part of the two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Doing part of life is harder. Hopefully, I'm getting better at it as time goes by. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  12. I have emotionally struggled a lot, and I mean A LOT, the last 4 years because I have been losing all of my hair. I'm an (almost) 24-year-old healthy woman and I used to have incredibly thick, lovely hair. I've been to 7 DIFFERENT doctors, had my blood tested more times than I can count for everything from vitamin deficiencies to Diabetes to Lupus to hormone irregularities, and nothing has been found. I've tried so many different things to try to stop it from happening, but also to no avail. Shedding more hair every day for years on end has really damaged my self-esteem (which wasn't that great to start with), and the knowledge that within a few years I'll be completely bald is something I've really been trying to come to terms with. It's possible that I won't ever find a guy who is capable of looking past the normal beauty "ideal" and accept me for what I am, which has also been a difficult possibility to accept. Then again, maybe I will. Not that finding a man is the end-all goal of my life, but it would be nice to have someone to share this journey with!

    I also hate that I've internalized society's standards to a certain extent, and I'm really trying to fight it. I am really, really trying to throw it all out the window and teach myself that I am a worthy human being no matter what, and hopefully I can also work to change society's ideals. It's going to be a long road, and a very difficult one if the last 4 years are any indication. But your story has definitely buoyed me up! You look amazing with your head shaved. It's an option I've always thought of but haven't had the guts to do it yet! Maybe this summer, and maybe (like you), it will give me the strength to tell people my story. Right now, only my mom, my sister, and a handful of close girl friends know. They are a great support system, but I do feel the need to open up. Thanks for the encouragement and stay fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awful, Lesley. I'm so sorry that you are losing your hair, and you don't know why. I hope you can find some answers. I admire you for working to come to terms with not having hair. That may be the hardest part.

      It is nice to share the journey. It sounds like you have supportive friends and family. That's great! There are great guys out there, too. Don't lose hope of that at all. I have a wonderful husband who is very supportive. Like you said, though, finding someone to love isn't the end-all goal. Learning to love yourself is more important! You don't need hair to do that.

      I wish you luck, Lesley!

      Delete